Source: Paula Deen
- 4 cup peeled, sliced peaches
- 2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- ground cinnamon, optional (I don't believe this should be optional. I think the cobbler would be a little bland without it).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
- Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping.
- Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. (The end result will be very runny. I had my doubts that it would rise and turn into something wonderful in the oven, but it did, so don't be nervous).
- Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if using. Batter will rise to top during baking.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- To serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.