Monday, August 4, 2008

Dogs need treats too!

This is my dog, Bailey (with a cameo appearance by his little kitty friend, Steve). Bailey loves treats. And with a face like that, how could I not spoil him rotten with some delicious home made treats? I found this recipe on ivillage, and knew that he would love them, because he loves peanut butter almost as much as I do.

These treats are a big hit with Bailey, who will fake having to go outside just so he can get more treats (we're on to you, sucka), and are really easy to make with healthy ingredients.



Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Source: ivillage.com

Ingredients:

  • 1 ¼ cup milk
  • 1 ¼ peanut butter (I used natural peanut butter)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 ¼ tablespoons baking powder

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Combine flours and baking powder in a large bowl.
  • Mix milk and peanut butter in a large bowl, until smooth.
  • Gradually stir flour mixture into wet ingredients.
  • Knead dough by hand, adding small amounts of milk to the mixture if the consistency is too dry. (I mixed it in my kitchenaid mixer and did not need to knead the dough. I've used both the dough hook and the paddle attachment, and both worked fine).
  • Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface to desired thickness and cut out treats with cookie cutter of choice. (I roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper for easier clean up).
  • Bake on cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, modifying timing to adjust for dough thickness and treat size. (I rolled the dough about 1/8 inch thick, and 12 minutes was the perfect baking time). They rise considerably when baked.

















2 comments:

MrsBailey said...

I made these for my brother's pups for Christmas and they loved them!

Las Cruces Pool Services said...

Inteeresting read