Monday, August 11, 2008

Cake Batter Ice Cream

One of my favorite indulgences is Coldstone Creamery cake batter ice cream. Thankfully, the store near us closed, ending the era in which we had ice cream for dinner on a semi-regular basis. When I found this recipe, I had to try it. I was not disappointed, it was pretty spot-on. I added some crushed graham cracker crust and slivered almonds to it at the end, just the way I like my Coldstone!

Also, this was the first time I used the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid, and it was awesome! Two thumbs up from this girl.

This picture is not appetizing at all. Believe me, it tastes much better than it looks.





Cake Batter Ice Cream

Source: recipezaar.com

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup whole milk, well chilled
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup yellow cake mix

Directions:

  • In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
  • Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
  • Stir in cake mix, making sure there are no lumps. (I sifted the cake mix)
  • Pour mixture into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker and let mix until it has thickened (about 25-30 minutes).
  • Remove ice cream from freezer bowl and place into a separate container.
  • Place freezer bowl and the ice cream into the freezer to further harden.

5 comments:

Bailey said...

You are so lucky I don't have an ice cream maker. I would make the crap out of this!

Anonymous said...

omg - I was just talking about this over the weekend. I was wondering if there was something that came close to cold stone's cake batter. I love that flavor. I'll definitely be making this!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I definitely plan on making this! I thought the cake batter was prepared and stirred in... it never occured to me to use dry cake mix! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kelly said...

Hmmm. I might have to try this. I live dangerously close to a cold stone so I am constantly convincing myself I don't need any!

Bailey said...

Just so happens I got the ice cream maker attachement for my Kitchen Aid for Christmas. I thought of this recipe first. Can't wait to try it. Mr Bailey is pretty stoked about it too.