Monday, February 25, 2008

"Out of This World" Chicken Noodle Soup

I was inspired by a picture of chicken soup ingredients in a pot at The Foodie Fashionista. Everything looked so healthy and delicious, I knew I had to try the recipe. My husband's review of this soup? "This, my love, is out of this world." And he was right. It's the best chicken soup I have ever had. Here is my version of ingredients in a pot:




Chicken Noodle Soup
Source: The Foodie Fashionista

Ingredients:

  • 1 (3 pound) roasting chicken
  • 2 large carrots, chopped (I used more, probably 4-5)
  • 2 large celery stalks with leaves, chopped (I used 3-4)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 parsnip, sliced in half vertically
  • 1 turnip, sliced in half
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
  • several sprigs of parsley and dill
  • 10-12 cups cold water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 ounces pasta (optional)
  • cheesecloth

Directions:

  • Place chicken, vegetables, and herbs in a large stockpot. Add enough cold water to cover all the contents of the pot. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer; cover pot, but vent to allow steam to escape. Simmer for about 90 minutes.
  • After 90 minutes, remove chicken from the soup. Remove as much meat as possible and discard skin and bones. Remove turnip and parsnip and discard. Find garlic cloves (they should be floating near the top) and smash them against the side of the pot and mix the smashed garlic into the soup. Add chicken meat back to soup; season with salt and pepper. Add pasta and bring back to a boil; boil until pasta is cooked through. (I would recommend cooking the pasta separately before adding it to the pot. I found that almost all of the broth was absorbed while the soup cooled overnight, and I had to add store bought stock to thin it out when reheating).
  • Remove pot from heat and cover top surface of soup with cheesecloth. Push cloth down into soup until it sits just below the surface. Allow to cool completely, preferably overnight. Slowly lift cheesecloth up, separating the fat from the top surface of the soup. Reheat to serve.



No comments: