Sunday, February 24, 2008

Chicken and Biscuits

I think the greatest compliment a cook can get is from her mother. I sent some of these chicken and biscuits home with my mother, and she called to tell me how wonderful it was. I was so proud! I added some red pepper flakes for a little kick. The other changes I made to the original recipe are in red.






Chicken and Biscuits
Adapted from Sugar & Spice

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breast
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 carrots, sliced (I used 4)
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced (I used 4)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used 3 cloves)
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 chicken bouillion cubes
  • 1 cup frozen peas (I obmitted since they cause my husband psychological trauma)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Directions:

  • Place chicken breasts in a pot, cover with water, and boil until fully coooked.
  • While chicken is boiling, melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic to the pan and sautee over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until onions are translucent and vegetables are soft. If you see that they are getting too hot, reduce heat to medium low.
  • Add chicken broth, boullion cubes and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
  • At this point you can add a slurry of flour and broth if the mixture is too thin for your likeness. I find the best method for doing this is to ladle a scoop of broth out of the pot and into a separate cup. In that cup, whisk in the flour until smooth, and then whisk that mixture back into the pot. This keeps large clumps of flour from forming in your pot!
  • When chicken has finished cooking, let it cool long enough to handle. Shred the chicken and add it to the broth and vegetables, along with the peas. Cover and let simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you enjoyed this meal! :)