Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
From elly says opa! and Cook's Illustrated
Makes 1 dozen
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound unsalted, chilled butter cut into 1/4" cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a mixing bowl or the bowl of your food processor. With pastry blender or the steel blade of your food processor, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- If mixing by hand, stir in the buttermilk with a spatula or fork until the mixture is a soft, slightly sticky ball. Add more buttermilk if necessary. If using a food processor, add the buttermilk and pulse process until dough gathers into moist clumps. Remove and form into a ball.
- Lightly flour your hands and divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Lightly pat a portion of the dough back and forth until a ball forms, and then pat lightly with cupped hands to form a rough ball. Place formed dough rounds 1" apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush dough tops with melted butter. Bake until biscuit tops are lightly brown, about 10-12 minutes.