Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sugar Free Carrot Cake

For every family holiday gathering, my job is to make dessert. I'm the only one in my family who really enjoys baking, so it's a good fit. For Easter, I wanted to make something a little on the light side. When I found this carrot cake recipe at Splenda.com, I knew I had to give it a try. Carrot cake is one of my mother's favorite desserts. I have to say this lighter version was great. It was really moist, and since I upped the spices a bit from the original recipe, it had lots of flavor. I made a frosting with 8 ounces of fat free cream cheese, 1/3 cup splenda, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I would not reccommend using fat free cream cheese, stick to light. The texture of the frosting was off using the fat free. Overall, though, the cake was great, and I would make it again if I was looking for a lighter dessert.





Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Source: Splenda.com

Ingredients:

  • 7/8 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I used 1 teaspoon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (my addition to the original recipe)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 cup eggbeaters
  • 3/8 cup splenda
  • 3 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
  • 1/3 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins (my addition to the original recipe)

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Set aside.
  • In small bowl whisk together egg whites and eggbeaters. Set aside.
  • In large bowl beat SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, margarine, honey, vanilla, applesauce, and canola oil. Mix in egg mixture, stir until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture, then carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
  • Pour into greased 8 cup loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool, ice if desired. (I used 2 round pans, and baked for 30 minutes).


No comments: